30 October 2010
26 October 2010
01 October 2010
A co-worker suggested we run a weight loss competition at work. A friend and family member just finished their own competition (good work NC!) where I had suggested some of the rules. Here are the rules we're considering for our office competition:
- Winner: whoever loses the highest percentage of weight over 12 weeks.
- $50 buy-in
- We weigh-in every week – if don’t weigh-in without a good excuse then you owe a coffee to the winner of the week.
- ~10% of the prize money is for weekly winner prizes (like gift cards, coffee, etc).
- Weigh-ins are in front of everyone in the competition (or at least 2 others ASAP if you can't make the weekly weigh-in for a good reason)
- EVERYONE has to be there for the FINAL weigh in
- Everyone should weigh-in using the same clothes (no shoes) each time.
- We’ll use the same scale each time.
- Don’t do anything a doctor would call stupid (i.e., no pills, purging, or starving; drink plenty of water, not more than 2-2.5 lbs/week, etc). We'll have a short handout on this.
- Skinny people can play too: if someone has just a few pounds to lose they can participate, and if they make their healthy weight then they get half their money back. (Because reaching those last 5-10 pounds is worth $25 easy, right?)
- No one gets any prizes/money if they lose so much they go below a healthy BMI.
- Everyone in the office has to know about the competition (so they don’t feed us donuts … and maybe even help us).
- We can post the weigh in rankings for the whole office so there’s extra pressure! (not the actual pounds, but who lost the highest and lowest percentages)
- If people want, we can arrange things so only the percentage lost is shown, rather than how much we each weigh.