- Jeff Adachi's Bar Survival series - Bar Breakers I and II are the biggest parts, there are also flash cards (pretty good), a "Survival Guide" (has outlines which parallel the flashcards closely), and a book on the MBE's (which is supposed to be inferior to other MBE specific resources). ($100 off craigslist for all the above, ~$325 new)
- Strategies & Tactics for the MBEby Walton and Emanuel - recommended by many online and by John Holtz (see below). $56
Courses, seminars, tutors:
- John Holtz - PT and Essays, seminar and tutoring. 3 day course on the PT for $450 (reviews range from mixed to very positive, more on the positive end). Based in LA but teaches PT course in SF also. May be available to tutor for a similar price. Tutoring is over the phone and fax. Free study plan by email. You work off materials you already have or can get on the cheap (PMBR big books, Bar/bri stuff, the Walton book above, Bar Breakers, etc). I'll be using him personally, but below are some other options I researched.
- The Bar Code - $1200 for the "intensive" program, $3000 for the "complete program." Mixed reviews, some really like their materials, two of my friends recommended it. (I might use it with Holtz's program/help).
- Essay Advantage - Essays only, substantive review and essay feedback.
- $1500, taught by Jeff Adachi in SF, operated by Bar/bri. Supposed to be similar to the bar/bri experience but with sole focus on essays which get a bit more feedback than in the regular course (this apparently varies, but the same person has been grading them in SF for a while now and gives a respectable level of feedback).
- 12 classes, 6 graded essays. Classes during weekdays so incompatible with work.
- PT advantage - same as above, but for PT only, $450 for "alumni" of bar/bri.
- Emerson's tutorial bar review - Recommended by a friend of mine, but costs $4950.
- Barpassers - $2000, see chart, also recommended by a friend. Commonly used, slick presentation materials, on the affordable side but less personalized than most others.
- MicroMash - $900 for MBE's, $1600 for MBE's + State specific materials (for California at least). This is a computer program that is sold by Thompson-West. Supposed to be good help with MBE's. VERY similar to the Smart Study program Bar/bri students are familiar with.
- The Writing Edge - some people seem to like Vivian Dempsey, but her course is $5500, high even for a private tutor.
- CalBar Tutorial - many random recommendations, some negative though. Paul Pfau is behind this - some love him, some really hate him. Serious spite.
- Hugh Reed / passyourbar.com - good reviews out there, though few. Hugely expensive! Small classes for $4,400, private on-on-one tutoring for $14000 (and some options in between).
- Fleming’s - covers essays, performance exam, and MBE
- National Bar Review - private tutoring, they advertise heavily
- PASS - online course — covers essays and performance test
- Adaptibar - online MBE course.
- Bar Graders - private tutoring for essays
- Bar None Review - essays, MBE, performance exam
- Bar Perfect - private tutoring on essays, performance exam
- Shari Karney - WAY too expensive ($6,000 for limited help, $12,000 for the "platinum package" which I think includes hypnotherapy. Not a good choice in my opinion, few independent reviews. At least she includes her prices on the website (most other private tutors do not).
- There are others, post your recommendations, reviews, additions, or thoughts in the comments!