01 June 2007

Now Abe's the Sicko!

I've been sick for about 10 days now, fun way to start BARBRI.

I'm getting better after visiting the Tang center and being told I have the perfect set, and timing, of symptoms for URI (upper respiratory infection). Yeah, a cold.

My solution after talking with the doctor:
(1) Tons of water. Liquids of all kinds are good, water is best. Duh.
(2) Vitamins - A daily multi-vitamin plus extra vitamin C (total of about 2000% of the daily recommendation).
(3) Echinacea - NYTimes says it doesn't work, I say it doesn't seem to be bad for you and it might help so here goes nothing.
(4) Goldenseal - makes the throat feel a bit better even if it's curative powers are overstated.
(5) Sleep - Okay, I haven't been getting enough, but this is a big one.
(6) Humidifier - does it get rid of the cold? Nah. But it makes me feel better when I wake up.
(7) Long, hot showers - helps with productive coughing.
(8) Day/NyQuil - or whatever equivalent drug you prefer, most are Tylenol plus nasal decongestant, cough suppressant, and antihistamine for the night time version ... that's what makes you sleepy.
(9) Zinc - in the daily multivitamin, recommended by my doctor and chiropractor (for whatever that's worth). Doc said it's faily proven in helping end the cold faster. But he also said I'd be coughing for another week ... not that he's wrong, I just don't like hearing it so authoritatively.

Here's another list:

What do you do to get over a cold?

PS - no, I'm not contagious anymore and Megan didn't get sick so we can shake hands and be friends.

No comments: